Happy New Year

It's 2012.
That is nice because I enjoy writing the number "2" more than "1".
The world will end according to people that say it started 3,000 years ago.
I spent the eve of the new year with wonderful people and eating delicious tacos and curry. It rained, then it snowed (more like it clumped... clumps of snow just fell out of nowhere). It was a wonderful night.
I slept until I couldn't sleep anymore today. Got up around 1. I spent the afternoon mending a sweater for a co-worker, sewing some tiny stretch pants I hope fit my friends toddler, and making things for me that I have been thinking about and meaning to make (over the bed bunting and a chair cushion). Later I made some lentils.

Here are the pants...
I made them from the bottom parts of the legs from adult stretch pants. I am trying to make new things out of clothes I don't want that aren't in great shape to bring to swaps.

Here is the over the bed bunting...
It took two tries. The first one seemed long enough (by my eye, no real measuring...) and it was too short. It is made from felt and bias tape. Over that is a stone with a hole in it tied on a red string, it is to ward away nightmares.

My chair at my sewing machine does not have a proper seat on it. It is some metal nailed over the hole. My tights are always catching on a nail when I sit there. Today I finally made a seat cushion that won't fall off.
There are dogs on the top and plain green on the bottom. There are also green ribbons to tie it on the chair. I stuffed it with some heavy folded fabric I don't see myself making anything out of anytime soon. It is a nice solid chair cushion.
Now to the kitchen... here is a shelf in my cupboard.
I keep cereal in half gallon mason jars. I just tear off some of the label and tape it on the jar. Awesome airtight storage. On the Ace hardware website they are $11.99 for a case of six. I think they were a little bit more when I ordered them at the store near my apartment. Still... that is really cheap compared to buying single jars at a store.

Here are the lentils.
They are black beluga lentils. I soaked them for an hour-ish. I put 3/4 cup in a 32oz jar with new water and cheese cloth on the top for sprouting (I have never sprouted this way... exciting!). I rinsed and cooked the rest. After they were done I added black pepper, cider vinegar and the juice of a meyer lemon someone sent my grandma from northern california. They are delicious.

Now I am watching television.
That is my tv.

I am going to work on the hat I started making friday.
I am really into knitting stripes lately. Hopefully this hat will be done by the end of the week.

Happy New Year. Happy New Year. Happy New Year.

1 comment:

mag mcdermott said...

yes! for your pix and descriptions