February so far




We finally are having a nice good real winter. On Sunday we had that really nice wet snow that sticks on everything. The world was beautiful and looked full of magic.
I should have taken more pictures of my neighborhood, but I didn't. This bush made me think of a dandelion and that made me happy. 
...

This is my best dog friend. His name is MOOSE! He loooooves me and I love him too. Here he is wearing my bandana and looking just charming. I would like to steal him for a weekend someday. Maybe in a year or two when he is older and calmer and a little tougher. He is too much of a princess for a neighborhood like mine.
The sculpture on the floor is of my childhood dog, Sadie. My mom made it out of clay. It holds cupboards shut and doors open. I love it. 
...

I decided my nice red (double knit!) hat was too boring. I debated putting white dots on it (to be one of the children of the forest), but I just decided to put this teensy tiny pink pom on it. I think I might put white dots on the inside and make it reversible.

I was a super shoveler and not only did all the paved walkways, but I also shoveled paths through the yard to the dog run, the compost, around the garden and to the garden shed with clearance for the door to open. Oh, and to the places where you feed birds or light tiki torches. (My dad lights tiki torches around their yard so you can see where you are going. It is pretty magical and very welcoming. I will try and get a picture soon.) I like to listen to things while I do yard work. This week I listened to a few podcasts of The Moth. I am happy that I know about it, if you don't... check it out!
I spent some time just standing around in the garden, looking at where everything was AND dreaming about where things will go this year!
I did so much this last year, this year can only get better and better! I have already bought three different kinds of tomato seeds, two kinds of bean seads (one bush one pole) and pea seeds from Prairie Road. I wonder if that part of the garden will be cucumber corner again or if maybe it should be tomato town... maybe with lentil lane down the side!
...

It was my friends birthday. She is from Brainerd, so I decided that Paul Bunyan was important. I have never really drawn him, or people like him. I looked up pictures and kind of copied one.
"...with bunions the size of a large dog!"
I thought it would be halarious if he was Paul Bunion! PAUL BUNION! Has Dr Scholl's used that yet???  
...

My friend who's birthday it was (Hi Betsy!) has an amazing three year old. Her brain is pretty much exploding right now... writing, drawing, sounding out words, making things up (apparently I was at a party yesterday and so was curious george!)
A few days ago we worked on drawing hearts. They are kind of frustrating shapes. I showed her how it can be something else if it isn't a heart. This evening at dinner a heart turned into an amazing cat.

Ed Emberly's books are really awesome. I want to own them, but I want the version I used to check out from the school library in 1st and 2nd grade. I even remember where they were in the library. Those books are really fun, if you come across them, take a look!


No comments: