The other week I went morel hunting with my friend (hi Lori!). I was worried we weren't going to find any, BUT then we did!
This last Monday I was at my folks and I had decided my task for the day was to weed and clear out the raspberry patch.
I crawled around between the bushes (and have the scratches to prove it) and very carefully cleared away weeds, dead leaves and other debris. A few years ago I disrupted a bunny nest, now I am very careful. I had also heard that the toads were back, I really didn't want to fuck up some small creatures day.
This was the first sweet toad I encountered. I saw between 8 and 10 different toads over the next few hours after that. This guy was the tiniest pip-squeak of a toad I saw (and the reddest, and the one who thought he was hiding so well by sitting still out in the openest).
Look about 3/4 of the way up to the top edge from toadie, what is that thing (also well camouflaged) hanging out with the creeping charlie?
Well! It is a morel! I found 11 more of these guys as I kept weeding!
I drew my mothers attention to a mushroom growing behind the garden last Sunday. I initially thought it was a fresh tree stump, then wondered where the small tree was.
It was a spring polypore.
On Monday I found many more growing and picked a few (I was poking around the backs of neighbors yards/railroad property in hopes of finding more morels).
Here are all the mushrooms I found that day.
This polypore is Dryad's Saddle (my mom is really smart and mushrooms are one of her special interests!). I guess this mushroom is edible and nice with ramps. Maybe it will be tried later this week.




No comments:
Post a Comment