big pag #2

I made this bag the other day. It holds my current knitting project and is working out a lot better than my drawstring knitting project bags I have made before.


This bag is a dark green baby wale corduroy outside with small red/orange flower calico fabric inside. It perfectly holds a ball of yarn and short double pointed needles and my current project (for my sister...). I also keep a small sewing kit in the bag and a stitch holder. 

I tried to draw this pattern out yesterday. I made some errors in my instructions and the pictures were only ok. Today was the second time I have made this bag. 

I was inspired by a customers bag at work. It was so nice to bag her groceries and tie the handle closed. I knew I had to make myself a bag like that. I think the next time I make one it will have gussets on the bottom. 
(I will make a clear pattern and have pictures to go with it when I do.)

I made this bag for my mom. I used some orange/brown fabric with polka dots and some really pale turquoise/blue for the lining.


I cut 2 long rectangles (fabric is folded over on the long side).


I cut the rectangle in half. I cut triangles from one half (two of each color, measuring at base a little more than half of the width of the side of the bag)


Here is how the bag goes together.


Sew the 'ears' together, outsides to the insides. Turn right side out and sew around the edges.


Sew the 'ears' onto the body of the bag (sew sides together of liner and outsides, I forgot to add that. Make liner seam allowance a teensy bit larger than the outside, but THE SAME at the top)

I cut notches at the center of the base of each 'ear' to line up with the side seams. My first bag had seams in the middle of the 'ears', so I just lined up the seams.


Have your bag body right side out (ear liner facing out). Put liner on bag and sew around the top. 
(in this picture, the top is on the left)


 Fold bag liner down and inspect your work.


Turn outside bag body inside out, sew bottom closed. Trim corners for nice corners. 



Also, if you feel like it (I usually do) sew around the top seam of the bag. Right sides out.

Fold bottom of the liner in and sew closed.


Here it is done and open. 


Here it is tied closed!


Here the bag is tied and hung up on a cupboard knob over my parents kitchen sink. 


This picture is the best representation of the colors. It was a fun bag to make. I look forward to making more and perfecting a pattern for a few different sizes/styles. 

No comments: